Sunday, January 25, 2009

To Buy or Not to Buy?

Yesterday I stood freezing my toes off with a client looking at three different condos trying to decide if this is the right time for her to buy. The conditions are right. My client is wanting to buy, she doesn't have a house to sell, has good credit and has a sizable downpayment. If you know anything about the market you're probably screaming, "OF COURSE IT IS, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!" So, what's the issue here?

The area that she is wanting to buy in is with a builder that is ceasing operations in Indiana. My client is concerned about what will happen with the neighborhood and since it is a condo community, who will be receiving the monthly maintenance fees, take care of the property management, handle any necessary repairs, etc. Even though those are very valid concerns I told her not to worry. My client is very fortunate in that the community she is buying in is a finished community. All of the lots have been sold, the homes built and the community has been turned over to the Homeowners' Association who has hired a property management firm to handle the day to day operations of the association. I assured my client that she probably wouldn't notice any difference in her specific community in the ways things are being handled now that the builder is no longer in operation than if that builder was still actively building in the area.

So, is my client going to buy? I'm not sure. My advice to her is that the property is a very good deal. We might be able to find her another similar condo but the price could be substantially more than what she would pay today to purchase this one. Probably this is a deal that might be too good to be true, but all Realtors know that we don't have a crystal ball to tell us what will happen with the market.

No comments: